vAk – The design pattern
Like speech is expression of beings, Universe is the expression of Atman.
vAk is that expression. It is four-fold. The four stages of vAk in terms of human expression are Para, pazyanti, madhyama and vaikhAri.
This vAk is a ‘design pattern’. This is applicable to both Human expression and Universe’s expression.
Brhathari’s vAkyapaidya says vAg is the Human expression, which is four-fold. Para is the ‘shelter’ (padaM) on which the three outwardly expressions of pazyanti, madhyama and vaikhAri are placed. The three outwardly expressions are called ‘vAca’. The outwardly expressions combined with para is called ‘vAg’.
Brhadharanyaka Upanishad says vAg is the ‘prajna’. Prajna is the primary ‘jnA’. ‘jnA’ is the knowing. pra-jnA is the consciousness. In Br. Up Prajna is the Consciousness of the Atman, which is expressed as the Universe. This prajna is also four-fold.
In other words, Human expression (vAg) and Universal expression (prajnA) are the same.
In terms of Universal expression, Prajna, the four-fold expression, which is the consciousness of Atman, are the background quantum oscillations in vacuum, arising of quantum fields, emergence of ‘classicality’ and production of classical particles/Universe as we see it.
In terms of Human expression, vAg the four-fold expression, which is the speech of human beings are the oscillations of air molecules that is ever present in atmosphere, arising of thoughts, operating of vocal chords and production of speech.
In terms of Human expression, Para is the oscillations in air molecules on which human speech is built-up. It is external to the human expression. In terms of Universe’s expression, Para is the background quantum oscillations in vacuum, which is external to Universe’s expression.
In terms of Human expression, pazayanti is the arising of thoughts. It is the first visible/perceivable part of the outwardly expression. In terms of Universe’s expression, pazyanti is the arising of quantum force-fields (2), the Rudras.
In terms of Human expression, madhyama is the operating of vocal chords that vibrate the air molecules. It is the ‘middle’ of the outwardly expression. In terms of Universe’s expression, madhyama is the emergence of ‘classicality’ due to quantum entanglement.
In terms of Human expression, vaikhari is the external expression. It is the sound of speech. In terms of Universe’s expression, it is the classical matter of Universe.
In terms of Human expression, Sabda are ‘vibrations’ or simply ‘oscillations’ in any range. Sphota are compression/expansion produced Sounds/words. Dvani are vibrations/sabda in the audible range. In terms of Universe’s expression, Sphota is Agni, the energy in matter that evolves matter forms. dvani is the flame of Agni, which are the vibrations/oscillations of the matter forms.
vAkyapadiya – Brhadharanyaka – Mandukya
vAkyapadiya deals with Human expression or grammar of speech in the light of Universe’s expression.
Mandukya Upanishad explains the ‘top-level model’ of Universe as the expression of consciousness of Atman.
Brhadharanyaka Upanishad explains the Universe as the expression of consciousness of Atman in a detailed way.
Third Verse of Mandukya Upanishad
Jāgaritasthāno bahiṣprajñaḥ saptāṅga ekonaviṃśatimukhaḥ sthūlabhug vaiśvānaraḥ
Being awake (jAgaritasthAna) the external consciousness (bAhis prajnA) has seven parts (sapta anga), nineteen faces (ekonavinzati mukhah), enjoyed in sthula form (sthUla bhuk) is the vaisvarnarah, which is the foremost/outermost quarter (prathama pAdah).
What is vaisvanara..?
Vaisva-nara means the Universal matter. Nara is the mortal matter. Visva is universe. Vaisva-Nara are those Universal mortal matter forms.
Thse matter forms are what we observe. They are the ‘sthula’ or ‘gross’ matter form. What we see outside in gross form of matter has seven parts and has 19 faces.
This is equivalent to the vaikhAri stage of expression. This is the classical universe that is outside our consciousness. Hence it is bAhis-prajna. Thermodynamics rules this classical Universe.
The seven parts of bAhis-prajnA
This Vaisva-Nara, the universal mortal matter is modelled in terms of a human body as ‘bAhis-prajnA’, which means that exists outside to our prajnA.
If we assume Universe as a biological body, then there are seven parts to Universe as there are seven parts to a biological body. These build, one on top of each other. They are
5. Buddhi Indriyani
6. Karma Indriyani
The Seven parts in terms of Human beings are
2. Thoughts in human beings that builds on top of mind
3. Information content that builds on thoughts
4. Ego that builds on buddhi
5. Organs/processes that add to buddhi
6. Organs/processes that perform Work
7. Pancha-bhuta that make a human being.
The seven parts in terms of Universe’s expression are
1. Zero-point energy
2. Heat that builds on Zero-point energy
3. Entropy that builds on Heat
4. Internal Energy that builds on Entropy
5. Energy forms that add to Entropy
6. Thermodynamic processes that perform Work
7. States of Matter that make the Universal matter forms
The Seven parts and Nineteen faces
- Manas, the mind in human beings, that exists when all thoughts are removed, is the zero-point energy in Universal matter forms.
- Citta, the thoughts in human beings, that manifests on top of ‘mind’ are the thermal vibrations of matter forms.
- Buddhi, the knowledge/information content in human beings, that builds on thoughts is the entropy of the Universal matter forms.
- Aham-kAra, the internal property or ego in human beings, that builds on buddhi is the ‘internal energy’ of the matter forms in Universe.
- Buddhi Indriyani, the organs/processes that add to knowledge/information content in human beings, like sight, sound, smell, touch, taste are the Electric, Magnetic, Chemical, Kinetic/Heat and mechanical energy forms that affect the entropy of matter forms.
- Karma Indriyani, the organs/processes that perform Work in human beings, like hand-work, movement, reproduction, digestion and speech are the adiabatic, isochoric, isothermal, isobaric and reversible processes that perform ‘Work’ on Universal matter forms.
- Pancha-bhuta, the five states of matter that make up a biological body are the five states of matter in Universe.
- A biological body is made of Solid (Solid chemical compounds), Liquid (Water, Blood and other fluids), Gas (Air that we breathe), Plasma (Ions in blood) (3) and Bose-Einstein Condensate (Signal processing in brain).
- Universal matter forms are predominant spready as Solid (Prthvi), Liquid (Jal), Gas (vAyu), Plasma (Agni) and Bose-Einstein Condensate (Akasha, the Inter-stellar space).
The 19 faces of bAhis prajnA
The seven part of the external part of consciousness of Atman are expressed in 19 different ways.
In Universe’s expression they are the Zero-point energy, Heat, Entropy, Internal energy, Five Energy forms that add to entropy and Five Thermodynamic processes.
In biological expression they are Mind, Thoughts, Buddhi, Ego, Five organs of Buddhi, Five organs of Karma and Five matter forms that make a human body.
Next – ‘Karana’ from saMkhya kArika
More posts by this author:
- An analysis of sabda and vAk – Part 6
- An analysis of sabda and vAk – Part 10 – Finale
- An analysis of sabda and vAk – Part 4
- An analysis of sabda and vak – Part 3
- Atman and Brahman..