Ayurveda (The Science of Life) is a 5000 year old science which originated in India. It focuses every individual as a miniature of the universe and hence tries of create a harmony between the macrocosm and the microcosm in order to stay healthy.
Ayurveda states that everything in this universe is made of five basic elements: Space, Air, Fire, Water and Earth. Combination of these elements in different proportions and ratio gives rise to different Doshas.
Doshas are the three energies in the body which gives rise to three types of body constitution namely Vata, Pitta, Kapha.
Vata (Wind) – energy of motion; Pitta (heat) – energy of transformation and metabolism; and Kapha (water) – energy of Construction are three unique traits that help determine an individual's Mind-Body constitution. A balanced state of Vata, Pitta and Kapha constitutes health, while their imbalance leads to a disease.
Tips to stay healthy this winter –
- Stay warm.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of warm water with 1 teaspoon of honey and a pinch of turmeric powder (antibacterial and antiviral properties) and drink it every day.
- In case of excessive congestion use ginger juice instead of water. (To make the ginger juice concoction, boil 2 inches of ginger in 1 cup of water for 2-3 minute).
- Eat Amla (Indian Gooseberry) in any form you can. Eating boiled Amla or extracting juice from Amla will help you to boost your immune system. (Amla or Emblica Officinalis is a natural, efficacious, an antioxidant with the richest natural source of Vitamin C).
- Avoid eating Yogurt, especially during breakfast and dinner. (Kapha increasing element)
- Limit eating Cheese. (Kapha increasing element)
- Massage with warm sesame oil for 30 minute before shower. In case of excessive congestion massage using warm mustard oil.
- Put few drops of warm sesame oil into each ear once a week. (Consult your Doctor before administrating, especially if you have ear tubes inserted).
- Massage the sole of your feet with warm sesame oil before going to bed.
- For extreme dryness in the body drink a glass of warm water with 1 tablespoon Flax oil, 1 teaspoon honey or brown sugar, pinch of mineral salt and 2 tablespoon of pomegranate juice or lime juice. Drink this concoction 2-3 glasses per day.
- Take fish oil supplement through out winter.
- At the beginning of any cold symptom Aconite 30c helps preventing onset of cold symptoms. However, every individual manifests cold differently. It is good idea to match individual symptoms thoroughly before taking any homeopathic remedy.
Note: Above are the Health tips provided by Rashana Rauniar, Holistic Medicine Practitioner, with her degree in Homeopathic Medicine from India. Visit her website for more information www.healholistic.com . Consult your nearby doctor in case any severe symptoms persists.
More posts by this author:
- Vata Balancing Food Recipe
- Relief from spring season allergies
- Prepare for a better Fall during Ritu Sandhi
- Chamomilla: A Wonderful Anger Remedy